Aminul Islam Bulbul is mostly celebrated for his splendid ton in the inaugural test of Bangladesh but he was one of the most elegant batsmen of pre-test era Bangladesh cricket as well. Here are some facts you should know about him on his birthday-
- After Charles Bannerman and Dave Houghton, he is only the third person in cricket history to score a century in his own and country’s test debut. Bannerman did so in 1877 for Australia in the very first test of cricket history against England and Dave Houghton did so for Zimbabwe against India in 1992.
- Aminul Islam started his career as a soccer player but due to a deadly injury he had to give up soccer. He started to show the glimpses of a talented all-rounder after that and within two years, he represented Bangladesh in U19 world cup in Australia. He took 6 wickets in that tournament including the wicket of Brian Lara.
- His Test and ODI debut are both against India. He made his ODI debut in 1988 and scored 10 runs. That was a match of Asia Cup which was arranged by Bangladesh for the first time.
- Versus Australia, Aminul Islam possessed his best average in ODI. He played two matches against them and his average is 54. However, he scored most runs against India (277) with an average of 46.17.
- Aminul Islam led Bangladesh side in the ’99 World Cup which was their first campaign in the tournament of elites. Bangladesh beat Scotland and Pakistan in that tournament.