Bangladesh will play their 100th test against Sri Lanka at the Colombo on Wednesday. On verge of this iconic match, we look back to some of the greatest moments of our Test cricket history.
- After getting the Test status in 2000, Bangladesh played their inaugural Test against India in the same year at the Bangabandhu National Stadium. Naimur Rahman was the captain. Bangladesh lost the match by 9 wickets. So far Bangladesh have played 99 Tests, won 8, drawn 15 and lost 76 of them.
- Bangladesh’s first ever test victory came against Zimbabwe at the Chittagong MA Aziz Stadium in 2005. They beat Zimbabwe by 226 runs. Enamul Haque Jr. was the man of the match for his match winning figure of 6/45. Later Bangladesh drew the second test and won their first test series as well.
- Bangladesh posted their highest team total against Sri Lanka at the Galle International Stadium. They were bowled out for 638 runs in the first innings.
- At home, Bangladesh’s highest team total is 556, against West Indies at the Mirpur Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in 2012.
- Aminul Islam scored the first ever century for Bangladesh. He played an innings of 145 from 380 balls.
- Tamim Iqbal is the highest run scorer for Bangladesh in Test cricket. He has scored 3546 runs from 48 matches with 8 hundreds and 21 fifties, averaging 38.96.
- Shakib Al Hasan is the highest wicket taker for Bangladesh with 170 wickets from 48 matches. He also has the most 5 wicket haul (14 times).
- Mohammad Ashraful was the youngest player to score a century in Test cricket at the age of 17 years and 61 days. He did it against Sri Lanka in 2001 Colombo Test.
- Habibul Bashar holds the record of scoring the most number of runs in a series. He have scored 379 runs from 3 matches including 1 hundred and 3 fifty, against Pakistan in 2003.
- Shakib Al Hasan and Mushfiqur Rahim share the record of biggest partnership in any wickets. They have added 359 runs in the 5th wicket partnership against New Zealand at Wellington in 2017.
- Enamul haque Jr. was the first Bangladesh bowler to pick up 10 wickets in a match.
- Taijul Islam owns the best bowling figure for Bangladesh in an innings. He took 8 wickets for 39 against Zimbabwe in Dhaka 2014.
- Alok Kapali was the first Bangladeshi bowler to pick up a hat trick in Test cricket. It was against Pakistan at Peshawar in 2003.
- Earlier this year, Shakib Al Hasan scored 217 runs against New Zealand in Wellington. This is the highest by a Bangladeshi batsman in Test cricket.
- Javed Omar remains the first and only Bangladesh batsman to carry the bat through the innings. His unbeaten 85 came against Zimbabwe at the Bulawayo in 2001.
- Talha Jubair took his maiden test wicket at the age of 16 years and 223 days. Not only for Bangladesh, it’s also the record of overall youngest ever to get a Test wicket.
- Sohag Gazi made a memorable debut in Test cricket, hundred in the first innings with the bat and then six wicket haul including a hat-trick in the second innings with the ball. He is the only player in the history to feat this unique record.