Inquiry Committee submits report on 2nd Division Cricket League incidents
Board approves disciplinary measures
The Inquiry Committee formed by the BCB has submitted its report on the highly unusual occurrences of 92 runs being conceded off four (04) legitimate deliveries of a bowler of Lalmatia Club in a Dhaka 2nd Division Cricket League (Super League) match held on 11 April 2017 at the City Club Ground, Mirpur and a similar incident of 69 runs being given away from seven (07) balls in another Dhaka 2nd Division Cricket League (Super League) match involving Indira Road Krira Chakra and Fear Fighter Sporting Club held on 10th April 2017 at the Jahangirnagar University Ground.
In consideration of the health of domestic cricket and the damaging impact such incomprehensible acts may have on the future of the game in Bangladesh, the Board in its meeting held on 22 April 2017 had decided to form the Inquiry Committee comprising the following BCB Directors to investigate the matter:
- i) Sk. Sohel, Chairman.
- ii) Md. Akram Khan, Member
iii) Mr. Mohammed Jalal Yunus, Member.
The Inquiry Committee today submitted its report after a thorough investigation. The Committee concluded that both the incidents were pre-planned and deliberate with the intention of damaging the image of the BCB at home and abroad especially at a time when Bangladesh cricket was going through the most encouraging phase in its history. It also noted the adverse effect such unprovoked and destructive activity may have on budding cricketers and the country’s millions of cricket fans.
With the objective of ensuring that these incidents are not repeated, the Committee made the following recommendations which the Board has decided to endorse:
- A minimum ban of ten (10) years from cricketing activities under the jurisdiction of the BCB for the bowlers Sujon Mahmud of Lalmatia Club and Tasnim Hasan of Fear Fighter Sporting Club.
- A minimum ban of five (05) years for the captains, coaches and the team managers of Lalmatia Club and Fear Fighter Sporting Club from all cricket events/matches under the BCB’s jurisdiction.
- Suspension of BCB affiliation of Lalmatia Club and Fear Fighter Sporting Club with immediate effect.
- For inefficiency in decision making on the field and failure to carry out their responsibilities as per the desired standards, disciplinary measure against umpires Azizul Bari Babu and Shamsur Rahman Jacky in the form of –
- Stern warning.
- A six-month ban on officiating matches under the Cricket Committee of Dhaka Metropolis (CCDM).
iii. Constant scrutiny and monitoring of their respective conduct/performance if they officiate in age group and other lower-grade domestic matches during the ban-period.